Thursday 4 February 2016

Photographer Research- Jason Travis

Why I chose Jason Travis:

Jason Travis is a interesting photographer which I was extremely fond of before my initial research for this project. His images are what led me towards choosing People and Possessions as my exam topic. I therefore choose Jason Travis to research in depth as he was going to be an influence within my project.


Evaluations
http://www.jasontravisphoto.com/persona/
This image is an example of Jason Travis series called 'Persona'. This is an interesting way to display people and some of their small and basic Possessions. I like how Jason Travis has also used this technique to show some basic possessions of a dog. This is quite comical as it suggests that the dog has selected these images to display a few items which it likes the most and thinks are important. In my opinion, these particular types of images are very effective and powerful due to how he positions the peoples and belongings in a surrounding which is realistic. For example, in the image to the left the dog is shown in a back garden, with her few toys and food placed on what could be interpreted as decking, showing all her belongings a place which you would expect to find them. The images which Jason Travis has created by using this style is very creative and inspirational to aspiring photographers.


I really like how this image has been created, I think it is an interesting way to demonstrate how people can not be judged based on what we see. I gathered this interpretation from the way the lights has been positioned and by the editing that has been used. The light faces the left hand side person, making his version of the man bright and visible. Displaying how this is the side we see people and base our opinion of them on. However, the man on the left is covered in shadows, the formal element form has been used here to create this effect. I think this image shows how everyone has a side which we cannot see just by looking at them and their belongings. I really like the way in which Jason Travis has used studio lighting and photographic software to create this image, I think it is a very powerful and effective image in portraying a variety of messages.
 


This image suggests the mans hobby, which is photography. I like the way in which this Diptych shows two different ways in which the man views a scene, once with the naked eye and once through the lens of his camera. In my opinion this is an interesting way to show how people with an interest in photography view scenes. This demonstrates how people see a surrounding which they like or think is pretty and have the desire to photograph it and keep a permanent memory of it. Most artists use a white or black background however Jason Travis has used a blue background, I think this blue background adds colour to the images and makes the piece more appealing due to how the model stands out on the blue background.

I like how this image shows the playful relationship which the dog and its owner have. Viewing People and Possessions as people and their relationships is very interesting as it is a very unexpected and usual area to explore for People and Possessions. I like how a natural background and lighting has been used, I think this has helped to create a more appealing piece then if it was taken within the studio.


Influence


This photograph was taken within my second shoot. As well as having two shoots based on Jason Travis work my overall work has been influenced by his photographs due to the composition of his pieces and way in which he captured ideas and concepts.


Below is a link to a connecting essay which links Jason Travis work to mine in detail.


Summary

To summaries Jason Travis, I would say he has had a large impact on my work and has been a photographer that has influenced most of my images and ideas for this unit. I find his work very intriguing and believe he explores certain views and idea in a unique way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment