Thursday 17 March 2016

Work Diary- Shoot 9(Lack of possessions)

PLANS AND PROGRESSION


For this shoot I wish to develop from showing what people have to show what people lack. I hope to produce a selection of images which display peoples lack of possessions. I will do this by showing street artists who are trying to earn money through a particular skill they have. Many people do this as they have no other form of income and need to feed themselves or their families. I think this is an interesting way to show People and Possessions as it is showing the possessions which they lack and I believe a stable job/career could be viewed as a possession.


EVALUATIONS

I took this image to demonstrate lack of possessions as it shows a man performing to a crowd for money. I like how this image shows a man who is equally as capable as many other dancers who earn a lot of money within their industry, however he is having to take to the street to make ends meet. To me this is a very powerful image which make me think about how persistent people are in making their dreams come true. To capture this image I used the following camera settings, ISO 100, f/8, with a stutter speed of 1/2000 seconds  and a focal length of 55.0 mm. I think I could have improved this image taking more images of the man at different stages of his performance and create an animation from them. Although no animation is used within this image, I think there is a clear sense of movement displayed within this image. Overall, I am pleased with this image and how the image suggests the man has a crowd surrounding him.





This image is very different to the rest of the photographs within my shoot, however I included it with my images for this shoot as I felt it was a very powerful image which represented a lack of possessions or a loss of possessions. One interpretation of this image could be that this is a wardrobe of a person who has passed away and their belongings have been removed. I gathered this judgment from the lack of belongings along with the background of the wardrobe as it appears to be very old fashioned and designed for an old lady, suggesting it was a recently deceased old lady's wardrobe.  I think this interpretation is highlighted because of  black and white filter placed on the image. I turned this image into black and white by a simple adjustment within Photoshop. I done this as the lighting from the room produced a very yellow toned image which was not very eye pleasing. I felt that the black and white filter produced a much more intense and meaningful image with a sad atmosphere. The camera was set to the following setting for this particular image, 1/40 seconds, ISO 200, f/4 with a focal length of 27.0mm. I tried taking this image with and without a flash, however both images involved unappealing yellow tones. 

PROGRESSION 

Although this is the last shoot for my unit 4 (not including my exam), I think this is an interesting topic which I started to explore and would explore in more depth if not limited by time. I like the two different concepts which I involved within this shot. This shoot made me look and think about peoples current positions and make a judgment as to whether the person is on the street performing because they enjoy it or they have no other option, I found this more difficult than I original thought. I think this shoot has opened my eyes to see how we can not understand someone's life or situation just from looking at them and the clothes they have on their backs. 

1 comment:

  1. Gracie, a very good intro to the work diary, with a good description of the individual pictures and the connotations associated with them… There are however some grammatical areas that need to be addressed "who are earn a lot of money" so whenever you complete a post you must spell check or read things aloud to see if the sentences make sense. The camera settings you quote are fine but the intention here is that you should reflect on why you chose these settings… e.g. if you know that aperture affects depth of field and shutter speed movement you can discuss this here. or if you are aware that area of the image are out of focus this might be due to the camera settings used (depth of field) The idea therefore is that you should use the settings as a way of analysing the the visual outcomeISO 100, f/8, with a stutter speed of 1/200 seconds

    wardrobe shot: 1/40 seconds, ISO 200, f/4 with a focal length of 27.0mm why did you select these settings/how does it affect the photograph.

    one final thing to help is that images are symbols, the empty coat hanger is an indicator of the absence of something and therefore the emptiness of the wardrobe brings connotations of (a lost person through death, moving, etc… )

    ReplyDelete