Thursday 4 February 2016

Photographer Research- Tobias Lang

Why I chose Tobias Lang

Tobias Lang has worked in a variety of different industries and on different jobs. These different experiences have developed his skills and eye for a good photograph. Tobias Lang first caught my attention due to a particular series he worked on known as 'your pet and you'. When I started to research more into his work I felt he would be an appropriate photographer to look into for this project. By evaluating his image I am hoping to improve my understanding and view on the project People and Possessions.

Evaluations

This image was selected from a series of photographs titled 'skater boy'. Within this series of images I feel that he tackles the stereotypes towards people with certain hobbies and the Possessions they are excepted to have. I like how the man is shown with his skateboard and his dog in one image and the second image could shows him with potentially a skating related injury. I like the framing and the use of Diptych within this piece. I think it creates a very effective image which displays the mans interests and possessions which relates to them. There is often expectations that people have on other people due to their interests or hobbies. For example, if people say they have in interest in skateboarding there is a stereotype they would have a skateboard, vans and a snap-back. This stereotype is represented within this image.


This image comes from a selection of photographs titled 'your pet and you'. I think this is an interesting interpretation of People and Possessions which demonstrates a person and their pet in the form of a Diptych. These type of images show the animal and person separate. It is often said that a pet reflects their owners personalty. I think this is an interesting concept and by showing a person and their pet it can suggest certain aspects of someone personality. For example, within this image you can see a young girl and her rabbit, to me this would suggest that she is a sweet girl who has a placid personality. In contrast to this, if I saw  a man and a large husky in the same style of image as above I would assume he leads a very a outdoors and active life due to the vast amount of walking husky's need. 

This is another example of how Possessions can reflect a person personality and hobbies. This image shows fencing equipment along with two people in the background in fencing gear which I could assume they are having a duel. The focal point of this image is interesting as everything around the focal point is blurred, displaying a unique focus for the image.
This image shows two women getting ready. When girls get ready many items are used. These multiple different items are displayed with the image. The messy positioning of the items along with the manic positioning and expressions on the girls faces show a chaotic image with a busy atmosphere. I like how this portrays a stereotype of high maintenance women within this image due to the high amount of effort they are taking to get ready. 


Influence

Tobias Lang has had an overall influence on the composition and focus on my images. Tobias Lang had a large impact on my 8th shoot which was based on people and their pets. I decided to take a different look onto his series 'you and your pet'.
Below is a link to a connecting essay which links Tobias Langs work to mine in detail.
http://gracie-tobias-unit4photography.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/connecting-essay-four.html

Summary

To summaries Tobias Lang I would say he is a very influential and interesting photographer who has had a positive impact on my work and ideas for this topic. His pieces intrigue me due to the way in which he has explored particular ideas in a unique way. He has an extensive amount of work which reflects and challenges of stereotypes. He has done this by creating powerful pieces which have involved strong messages and a vast amount of detail.  

No comments:

Post a Comment